Whew! Just made it for Karen’s December Photo Hunt. It’s been one crazy month around here, with the kids taking turns getting sick, and enough trips to the pediatrician’s office to consider permanently moving into the waiting area. I really didn’t think I would have time to get all the pictures together, and went ahead and posted the one for Frost, that I already had (and then gave Scott permission to link to it for his photo hunt submission). But, on Wednesday I decided to try to get my act together and play along, so here goes…
1. Lights This is actually a reflection of some Christmas lights on my living room wall. I noticed them Tuesday evening, but was too lazy to go and get the camera, and put it off until (not so) bright and (way too) early Wednesday morning.
2. Ornament This was one of my Christmas presents this year. From my best friend in Germany of course! She sent several more, but you’ll have to wait until another time to see them.
3. Card A little peek into the basket where I have all of our Christmas cards.
4. Frost Wednesday must have been my lucky day, because we actually did have some frost in the morning! As soon as it was light enough outside, I ventured into the yard with my camera to see what I could find (more to come at a later date!). This is the cover of our fire pit, covered with frost.
5. Treat The treat I had in mind, was sneaking off alone to my favorite coffee place (Saxby’s – so much better than Starbucks!), but that never happened, so here’s the next best thing: cookies, baked by Greg and Sara. Peanut Butter, Molasses, and Tollhouse Chocolate Chip
Cookies Cakeys (I think me mis-measured the baking soda, and they puffed up like this. I actually like them better than the original recipe)
6. Family No sense even trying to get a picture of my family, so here’s a picture of the Family ornament I made several years ago. It has all our names on it, too.
As for the bonus, show me the winter holiday of your choice, I think most of these cover Christmas pretty well 😉
Mexican Wedding Cookies.
When I was baking Christmas cookies, Melissa asked if I could make Mexican Wedding Cookies, too, because they are one of her favorites. Unfortunately she didn’t say anything until after I had already planned what I would bake, and I promised to make them some other time.
Yesterday I decided to surprise her, and finally baked them. Who says you can only have Christmas cookies around Christmas, right? My grandmother used to bake sooo many cookies every Christmas, they would last until Easter!
…and some eggnogg with a kick! 😉
Santa better hurry up before I eat them all myself! I’ll leave him the boring Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies (sorry Honey!)
Mmmhh… how I wish I still had some of those around….
Peanut Butter Cookies
I was in a baking mood yesterday and first made some coconut cookies, and then tried Heather’s recipe for peanut butter cookies. You can find her recipe here
They are the BEST peanut butter cookies EVER!! I planned on making them with just the regular flour, but then didn’t have enough of it. Luckily we still had some whole wheat flour from when Greg made power bars a while back. Good thing, too, because I think the wheat flour makes all the difference. The kids like them, too. I made them wait until after dinner to try one… listening to Sara beg for two hours!! She ate her dinner in record time and then finally got to eat a cookie! After she was done, she went into Melissa’s room and as she walked past me she said “boy, do I want another one of those!” Seems to be her new favorite thing to say when she likes something and wants more!
This morning, when she was eating breakfast, Sara said to me “Mommy… thanks for baking the BEST COOKIES!” Awwww…
Check out my Monday Meals page for the Coconut Cookie recipe.